Senior Software Engineer at Digital Animal
Birmingham, England, United Kingdom
🇬🇧 (Posted Sep 24 2015)
About the company
What is Digital Animal?
Digital Animal is an advocacy marketing technology and consultancy company. We combine technology with a deep understanding of social interaction to redefine this area of marketing.
The sensational growth of Airbnb, Uber and Dropbox, all of whom use the influence of their customers to grow their business, suggests that every brand should place advocacy at the heart of their marketing strategy. Digital Animal’s technology is bringing this capability to big brands and disruptive startups in the UK and beyond.
Digital Animal’s technology builds personalised advocacy campaigns that are built on friendship. Our small team of Advocacy Analysts advises companies on how to use and optimise advocacy in their marketing campaigns and helps them to analyse the unique data that these campaigns generate.
Digital Animal works with a number of clients from retail, travel, insurance and financial services, including BT, Tesco and AXA.
We are a startup with offices in Birmingham and London.
Find out more at www.digitalanimal.com.
As a Senior Software Developer you will work as part of our Birmingham-based Development team to:
- Develop solutions by studying information needs; conferring with analysts; studying systems flow, data usage, and work processes; investigating - problem areas; following the software development lifecycle.
- Document and demonstrate solutions by developing documentation, flowcharts, layouts, diagrams, charts, code comments and clear code.
- Prepare and install solutions by determining and designing system specifications, standards, and programming.
- Update job knowledge by studying state-of-the-art development tools, programming techniques, and computing equipment; participating in educational opportunities; reading professional publications; maintaining personal networks; participating in professional organisations.
- Responding promptly and professionally to bug reports.
- Review and repair legacy code.
- Making presentations to customer or client audiences or professional peers.
- Maintain positive client interactions.
- Review, to the extent possible, changes in code and the environment that will affect system performance.
A Day In The Life:
We start the day with standups to make sure the code you write is building the software that you want to use, and address anything that is blocking your progress. This is a great place to pick up on the latest and greatest practices and patterns in tech, and get support from other members of the team.
We pause often, holding fortnightly retrospective meetings where we ask ourselves: “How could we do better?”. It’s an opportunity to consider ideas (big and small) that can have a big impact on how we deliver as a team.
We try to foster a working environment that’s fun and friendly, and where all ideas are considered properly. We are not very hierarchical, and our people tend to have a broad range of skills, rather than being narrowly focused.
We also love to experiment with bleeding edge technologies and are encouraged to develop innovative applications in Digital Animal Labs. Recent projects include hooking our core architecture to the Internet of Things and iBeacons.
Your initial salary will be between £35k and £50k, depending on experience, plus stock options.
Employee benefits include:
- Discounted gym memberships
- Bike to work scheme
- Childcare vouchers
- Rent deposit loan scheme
- Season ticket loan scheme
Skills & requirements
We are interested in your characteristics and not just your skills and experience.
These are the key characteristics we apply to everything we do. You will possess these characteristics too:
- Thoughtfulness at start.
- Communication, helpfulness and openness during.
- Quality and precision throughout.
- Organisation and structure throughout.
- Learning and sharing knowledge at the end.
For this specific role, we are looking for someone who:
- Is digitally savvy.
- Is able to communicate clearly in writing and in speaking.
- Has an organised and systematic approach, complemented by creative flair.
- Pays close attention to detail.
- Believes in excellent customer service.
- Wants to learn about digital advertising and data.
- Has a passion for technology, social media, advertising and marketing.
- Wants to be part of a fast-growing startup with big ambitions.
- Experience in one of GO, Java, Ruby, C, C++
- Automated testing (TDD, BDD)
- SQL (ideally PostgreSQL)
- Use of Git and knowledge of popular workflows
- Experience contributing to Open Source projects (issue creation/management, pull requests, maintaining)
- Experience designing and developing RESTful APIs
- Pragmatic approach to each solution, experience in evaluating possible language/stack and making informed technology decisions
- Experience working in a team
- Experience working independently
- Experience working with client developers
Instructions how to apply
Send an email with a covering letter and CV to: firstname.lastname@example.org
In your letter, answer the following questions:
- What’s technically wrong with our website?
- Which software product from the last two years (either your own, OSS or proprietary) would you be most proud of building and why?
- Which software product from the last two years (either your own, OSS or proprietary) would you be least proud of and why?
- “A company should use one language/stack for all its solutions”. Discuss.
- What is your most indispensible development workflow tool and why?
- You are asked to do something you know to be technically impossible, what is your course of action?
If successful, you will be invited for an interview at our Birmingham office.
If we like the look of each other after interviews, we will invite you to work with us for a week or two (paid, of course) so that we can see how you fit in, and you can get a real feel for what your job would be like. We appreciate you may already be in full, or part time employment/education, if that is the case - we’ll work with you to find the best way forward.
Please phone 0121 6982144 or email email@example.com for any further information.
[ job website
Let them know you found the job via https://www.golangprojects.com
(Companies love to know recruiting strategies that works)