Site Reliability Engineer - Telecommuting Opportunity (U.S./Canada) at MaxMind, Inc.
Waltham, Massachusetts, United States
🇺🇸 (Posted Dec 10 2018)
About the company
Founded in 2002, MaxMind is an industry-leading provider of IP intelligence and online fraud detection tools.
Do they allow remote work?
Remote work is possible, become a digital nomad and work remotely at this company
MaxMind (www.maxmind.com) is looking for a talented Site Reliability Engineer (SRE) to join our Engineering team. We help protect thousands of companies worldwide from fraud, screening over 2 billion online transactions each year, and we provide IP intelligence data to thousands more. This work requires us to tackle formidable challenges and we want you to help.
The Position Overview
Do you have SRE skills and are ready to collaborate with us in continuous improvement for scaling, performance and security to support our customers? Do you want to contribute to the improvements and delivery of a highly available, fault tolerant, and secure customer facing SaaS solution for real-time fraud analysis and IP intelligence which can serve over 2 billion transactions per year? Will you be a collaborator with peers and Product to define and contribute to the overall development of complex features, and to the success of MaxMind software products? Security is crucial for us - and we are looking for a team member who will help us continuously improve our solution and explore new technologies including Cloud services.
As a MaxMind SRE, you will utilize the best from DevOps and SRE methodologies to make a difference in defining broader architectural, design, and technical objectives of MaxMind, and achieving customer satisfaction by:
- Building performant and scalable SaaS solutions and the tools to maintain them
- Collaborating, mentoring,and advising to others
- Offering ideas and suggestions to the improvement of the development tool set, technical direction, and software architecture
- Identifying, triaging, and resolving system issues
- Designing and developing software and tools
- Researching changes in technologies, development environments, and tools including cloud services
- Enabling and extending complex system monitoring
- Updating configuration management and deployments
- Supporting on call after hours in rotation with other members of the team
Our Engineering Practices
Our Site Reliability Engineers are members of our Engineering team, working together to deliver to our customers’ success. At MaxMind, we are committed to security and the contributions of our SREs are integral to our work. To learn more about our commitment to security, visit https://www.maxmind.com/en/company/commitment-to-security. We have built a culture of peers, with highly developed practices and processes to work together remotely. To learn more about working at MaxMind, visit https://www.maxmind.com/en/company/working-at-maxmind.
We use Linux, PostgreSQL, and Ansible to deliver our solution. We use a wide variety of tools to manage and monitor our systems, including Nagios, Sensu, Grafana, and the Elastic/ELK stack. All work goes through internal code review on GitHub Enterprise.
Our goal is to automate as much as possible. Our tools are written in Perl and Go. We also want to improve our coding practices for the sysadmin code we write, writing libraries and tests wherever possible instead of one-off scripts.
Working at MaxMind
MaxMind is a casual, friendly, results-focused company of 45+ employees. We are passionate about global health and development, as MaxMind and its founder gladly donate over 60% of corporate profits to charities (https://www.maxmind.com/en/corporate-giving). We maintain a set of core, overlapping hours, but are flexible with specific start and end times and are understanding about appointments and life events. Our software team is largely comprised of telecommuters, so communication centers around video calls, group chat, and agile planning tools.
Our salary range for Engineering hires begins at $100,000 and we value talent and experience. Everyone participates in a company performance-based bonus plan. MaxMind offers a $2,000 professional development budget and five days for professional development annually.
In addition to medical, dental, and vision coverage, we offer several other benefits in the US, including a 401k with employer contribution, Health Savings Account, Limited Purpose Flexible Spending Account, paid parental leave, and a public transit reimbursement. Please inquire about benefits in Canada.
Diversity and Inclusion
We're committed to diversity and inclusion and are mindful of incorporating them into all aspects of our company. New ideas and perspectives come from diverse ways of seeing and thinking. MaxMind is sensitive to all individuals and viewpoints and believes everyone’s contributions and opinions are valuable assets to our team.
We hold regular diversity and inclusion meetings and conduct informative sessions on improving collaboration and communication. We value bringing individuals and different perspectives together within and across every department.
We encourage and sincerely welcome applications from candidates of color, women, queer candidates, candidates with family caregiving responsibilities, transgender candidates, and from other communities not well represented in the tech world.
If you have suggestions on how we may better promote or express our commitment to diversity and inclusion, we would love to hear from you. Please send your suggestions to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Skills & requirements
- 5+ years Experience in an Operations/SaaS Production focused Engineering team, including DevOps and Site Reliability Engineering (SRE), enabling Highly Available SaaS solutions processing web traffic
- Experience building complex monitoring solutions to support identification of issues with high availability
- Able to investigate and resolve issues with Linux performance and network latency/reachability
- Significant experience with Linux systems administration (we use Ubuntu, but that's not essential).
- Experience managing PostgreSQL, including streaming replication and backups
- Programming experience - preferably in Go or Perl. Our code is mostly Ansible and Perl, but we're happy to hear from you if more familiar with other programming languages or configuration management software
- Proficiency with configuration management tools like Puppet, Chef, Ansible.
- Solid understanding of fundamental networking technologies.
- Knowledge of best practices related to security, performance, and disaster recovery.
- Experience with web server configuration, monitoring, trending, network design, high availability.
- Experience with version control, preferably Git
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills, with logical and repeatable debugging and problem solving approaches
- Ready to learn new things
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills with ability to communicate clearly with partners and end users
- Able to work with a geographically distributed team
Highly Desired (or excited to learn)
- Experience doing security audits, security compliance, or penetration testing
- Experience with HAProxy configuration, Docker, Kubernetes, or other container tools, ELK/Elastic Stack, Cloudflare, Open source technologies
- Experience with cloud platforms and infrastructure tools, and moving services to a cloud platform
Instructions how to apply
[ job website
Let them know you found the job via https://www.golangprojects.com
(Companies love to know recruiting strategies that work)