Support Engineer at InfluxData
San Francisco, California, United States
🇺🇸 (Posted Aug 9 2017)
About the company
InfluxData is the company behind the InfluxDB time series database and the TICK stack, which is used to collect, store, analyze and visualize metrics and events.
- Remote work possible
When something is broken, do you want to figure out why?
When you figure out why, do you explain the process to your friends?
Join our growing support team to level up on cutting-edge technology, Golang, Open Source community management, PaaS operations, and to collaborate with our wide range of customers and partners.
* For remote candidates, currently support the following states, in addition to England: AZ, CA, CO, CT, GA, IL, MA, MN, NC, NY, OH, OR, TX, UT, VA, WA *
As a Support Engineer, you'll provide technical support for enterprise software. In this role, you'll respond to support questions from our range of customers, collaborate with the developers and product teams on characterizing, reproducing, and fixing issues, add to our documentation and training materials, host webinars, and work with our open-source community on GitHub and elsewhere.
You will be a key part of our 24/7 support presence, supporting our on-prem customers and PaaS users covering Western Europe along with portions of North and South America and Australia. This means handling as many issues as you can and passing on more complex issues to the developers. You will assist customers who are paying for SLA support, customers using InfluxCloud (our PaaS offering), and customers using only the open-source products. You'll be supporting users at Fortune 50 enterprises, fledgling startups, established startups, academic researchers, and government projects.
Our customers come from many fields, including industrial automation, high frequency trading, consumer retail, online gaming, and energy management.
We're looking for candidates who value continual improvement and building tools and teachings that benefit the open source development community. The Support team is a good home for people who leave things better than they found them. We are people who say "I'll learn!" rather than "I don't know." You'll need to be open to experimenting, which means that sometimes you will fail. (That's okay -- every mistake is also a lesson.) You'll need the persistence to find a solution without a flowchart laying out the entire process. You'll need the maturity and experience to work without direct oversight much of the day, and with colleagues distributed around the globe. You will be working closely with the whole company and all of our customers, so you'll need to be empathic, supportive, and self-aware.
* Answer customer questions via GitHub, email, or ticketing systems
* Ensure follow-through with customers and drive issues to resolution
* Reproduce customer issues and test new product functionality
* Adhere to contractual SLAs for responsiveness
* Update and extend documentation
* Handle on-call duties for the SaaS product one weekend per month
* Communicate recurring issues, challenges, and roadblocks with the products
Skills & requirements
* Experience in a customer-facing position
* Excellent written and verbal communication skills in English
* Empathy for people facing technical challenges
* 4+ years of technical work: support, development, engineering, etc.
* At least one scripting language (Ruby, Python, Bash, etc.) Linux administration experience, comfortable on the command line
* Ticket-tracking software experience (SalesForce ServiceCloud preferred)
* Knowledge of Networking and HTTP(S)
* Professional, personable, conscientious
Nice to have:
* Software development experience, particularly Golang
* DevOps experience, particularly AWS or other cloud offerings
* Git or other other version control systems experience
* Familiarity with system monitoring tools and practices
* Documentation or tech writing experience
* Experience working with APIs
* Experience with time-series data tools
* Professional Services or Training experience
Instructions how to apply
Apply here: https://www.influxdata.com/careers/
[ job website
Let them know you found the job via https://www.golangprojects.com
(Companies love to know recruiting strategies that works)