Go Engineer at Openly
Remote › 100% remote position (in the US) (Posted Jul 20 2021)
About the company
Openly is rebuilding insurance from the ground up. We are re-envisioning and enhancing every aspect of the customer experience. Doing this requires a rapidly growing team of exceptional, curious, empathetic people with a wide range of skill sets, spanning technology, data science, product, marketing, sales, service, claims handling, finance, etc.
Now is the perfect time to join the journey. Here’s why
● It’s working. We’re in twelve (12) states and on our way to operating countrywide. We have thousands of agents selling our product and millions of dollars of annual customer premiums.
● We’re well backed & stable. We closed our $40M Series B fundraise. We are supported by some of the top investors globally, including Google’s “Gradient” AI-focused fund, Obvious Ventures (Beyond Meat, etc.), and Advance Venture Partners.
● It’s not too late! Despite this traction and stability, we’re still early enough in the journey that there’s time to make a real difference during Openly’s formative period.
If you’d like to understand more about Openly’s mission, consider checking out this video (https://vimeo.com/267654520) from a company pitch we gave several years ago at Techstars.
We're hiring a Go Software Engineer to be a part of the Payment Automation team responsible for creating tools and systems to support the sending and receiving of money to and from our customers and agency partners. Additionally, the Payment Automation team focuses on automating billing-related functions to add efficiency to the workflows of internal stakeholders. You will play an important role in helping build our new payment and billing system that will power our insurance products and customer experiences.
● Collaborate with front-end engineers to create APIs to provide a best-in-class experience for our users
● Integrate with external services using APIs to manage payments, documents, and claims.
● Integrate with data providers to source real-time information on hundreds of data points, including property characteristics and risk profiles
● Build out our APIs so that third-party resellers can purchase insurance from us programmatically.
● Contribute to important architectural and operational decisions like microservices vs. monoliths, deployment techniques, technologies, policies, processes, etc.
● Build our internal tooling and APIs to make business and engineering processes easier, faster, and safer.
● Participate in daily stand-ups, weekly 1:1's, and biweekly retros
● Provide subject matter expertise and support to partners across the business
● Spread your expertise at the company (e.g., promote best practices and share what
● Backend/Core: Go & Postgresql
● Frontend: Browser-based, VueJS, Webpack, Nuxt &, Tailwind
● Research/Data Science: R, ArcGIS, H2O, & Python
● Infrastructure: Google Cloud, specifically GKE, Cloud Run, Cloud Build, and CloudSQL. We use GitLab for both code hosting and running CI/CD pipelines.
● Remote work tools: Slack, Zoom, Gather.Town, Donut
● Computer science or engineering college degree or equivalent experience
● 1+ years of professional/production experience developing back-end web-stack
● Ability to build a complete feature with technical direction. Solid understanding of core
engineering concepts relevant to the company's technical needs.
● Ability to explain technical challenges to technical audiences.
Benefits & Perks
● Competitive salary, corporate bonus program, equity position in a start-up company
● Company-sponsored medical, dental, vision insurance plans, short-term and long-term
disability, life insurance, 401k with corporate contribution, and FSA plan
● Company-paid 12 weeks parental leave policy
● The company fully embraces the “work-from-anywhere” mentality, even before COVID restrictions.
● Paid Time Off
● Fun, fast-paced, startup environment
U.S. Citizens, Green Card Holders, and those authorized to work in the U.S. for any employer will be considered.
Openly is committed to equal employment opportunity and non-discrimination for all employees and qualified applicants without regard to a person's race, color, sex, gender identity or expression, age, religion, national origin, ancestry, ethnicity, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, marital status, or any characteristic protected under applicable law. Openly is an E-Verify Employer in the United States. Openly will make reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with known disabilities under applicable law.