Senior Software Engineer (Go) at Level
Remote › 100% remote position (in US or Canada) (Posted Nov 9 2020)
About the company
Level is an exciting startup that will soon be entering the remote monitoring and management space. We're fans of the "Lean Startup" methodology and after many customer conversations, we're almost ready to launch our MVP. We feel like this space is stale with older products that offer a poor user experience. Our product features a simple interface and exciting technology that none of our competitors are utilizing.
We're backed by the founders of a very successful Managed Service Provider (MSP). They have extensive experience in the IT space and have proven invaluable in helping us validate that we are building the correct thing.
110,000 - 115,000
## Level Senior Engineer Role
Level is building a modern remote management and monitoring solution. We are a small team that is well funded and close to launching to our early access customers. We are searching for a strong, multi-talented individual contributor who is comfortable with systems-level programming and networking who can contribute to our agent, written in Go.
- Deep knowledge of a systems language like C, Rust, or Go.
- Not afraid to dig into an RFC. Low-level internals excites you, rather than scare you away.
- Experience with system-level APIs in Windows (win32), macOS, and/or Linux.
- Excellent written communicator.
- Willing to learn and work with Go.
- Significant WebRTC experience. You have built something with Pion.
- C/Objective-C experience, sometimes using system APIs means writing bindings to use in Go.
- Video encoding experience. You have worked with H264 and understand the spec.
- Building cross-platform libraries, our Go agent compiles to Windows, Darwin, and Linux on a variety of architectures.
## Things you might work on
- Building a cross-platform interface to query the active processes on an OS and transmit them over a WebRTC Data Channel to our web app.
- Working with libav to create a custom h264 encoder to reduce the latency and bandwidth of streaming a device.
- Creating a system tray GUI for the agent.
- Securely allowing scripts to be executed against a machine and piping the results over a WebSocket connection.
## Why you might want to work with us
- We are a small, fully remote engineering team, and there are no layers of bureaucracy. You can have a huge impact here.
- We are very flexible with working hours, we don't expect you to work a consistent block of time, we trust you to get your work done.
- We are on the cusp of launching our MVP and starting to grow.
- We will offer profit sharing so our small team will receive dividends on profits the company makes.
## More About Us
We are a startup headquartered in beautiful downtown Asheville, NC. We are a small, close-knit team working to upend the RMM market with a new product. Our CEO and leadership team have done extensive product research and are focusing on traction channels to grow while the product is being built. Though we are a startup, our investors have given us a multi-year runway.
We have already made substantial progress towards an MVP. We need someone to come in and help finish our Go agent who is an experienced self-starter that can make an impact on our product development. We aren't interested in someone that just wants to work down a list of pre-defined tasks. Our ideal candidate loves working on products and will help shape the direction of ours. We hope to launch within the next couple of months and want someone to come on this journey with us.
We really like the Basecamp philosophy and try to make sure that it doesn’t have to be crazy at work. We won’t ask that you work weekends, or late into the night. We don’t mind if you need to leave for an appointment in the middle of the day. We understand that software development doesn’t happen for 8 hours straight and don’t worry about counting time in the chair. We trust that given a fair timeline with a scope that you help us determine you will be able to deliver features. We are concerned with the end goal, not micromanaging you on the way there.
We're looking for someone great, but are an early-stage startup. We are offering a rate of 110-115k plus (eventually) profit sharing. We know you could make more elsewhere, but this is an opportunity to jump onto a startup that has the chance to grow quickly in revenue where our profit sharing will ensure you are compensated for the value you bring.