Site Reliability Engineer (SRE)
🇺🇸 United States › Oregon › Portland (Posted Jul 7 2020)
About the company
Our mission at Customer.io is to power automated communication that people like to receive. Today over 1,500 internet businesses use Customer.io to manage, send, and track performance of email, SMS, and push notifications.
Do they allow remote work?
Remote work is possible, see the description below for more information.
$89,000-$116,000 USD depending on experience
We're looking for a collaborative Site Reliability Engineer (SRE) who loves solving interesting puzzles and is excited to help us build out a scalable, reliable platform that our customers love. We understand that you might not have all the skills we've listed, and that's okay. If you have a combination of some of the items listed and you're interested in developing in the others, we want to hear from you!
Our small, remote-first team is fun-loving, passionate and highly effective. We offer a lot of opportunity to grow and refine your skills while having a significant impact. Other members of our site reliability team have backgrounds in a wide variety of industries, from Telecom to Gaming, and we believe that embracing our unique perspectives and expertise is key to our success as a collaborative team.
As a Site Reliability Engineer you will:
- Design, build, and maintain core infrastructure pieces that allow Customer.io scaling to support real-time processing and delivery of billions of messages
- Plan the growth of Customer.io’s infrastructure
- Automate the deployment process to make it as boring as possible
- Be on our on-call rotation to respond to Customer.io availability incidents and provide support for technical support engineers with customer incidents
- Ensure monitoring and alerting, alert on symptoms and not on outages
- Document every action so lessons learned turn into repeatable actions and then into automation
- Debug production issues across services and levels of the stack
- Take an active role in a friendly and supportive team that encourages you and the entire company to grow as individuals, professionals, and teams
- Learn, practice, and share with your coworkers through code review, pair programming, team collaboration, and training to help improve our collective knowledge and best practices together
What we're looking for:
- A collaborative mindset backed by excellent communication skills and a desire to help us make great decisions in an empathetic and respectful way
- Experience in managing and working with RDB systems, preferably MySQL
- A solid understanding of problems of scalability and experience deploying and managing distributed applications on cloud infrastructure
- Deep knowledge of UNIX environments and the ability to apply modern collaborative development practices. Go experience is nice to have, but most of our engineers have succeeded while picking it up on the job
- A self-starter who values synchronous and asynchronous work
- Experience working with Google Cloud Platform would be nice to have
- Experience working remotely and within a distributed company is preferred
- Required: the ability to work in UTC -4 to -7 timezones (North America, western South America, or similar)
Our mission at Customer.io is to power automated communication that people like to receive. Today over 1,500 internet businesses use Customer.io to manage, send, and track performance of email, SMS, and push notifications. Unlike typical marketing platforms, Customer.io helps businesses increase relevance by using behavioral data: what people do or don’t do when logged in to a web or mobile app.
We are offering a starting salary of $89,000 - $116,000 USD depending on experience and subject to market rate.
Benefits at Customer.io include:
- 20 days PTO - we offer 20 vacation days (in addition to holidays and sick days) so that you can unwind, unplug, and recharge
- 0% medical, dental, vision, and supplemental insurance for you and your dependents
- 6 weeks paid parental leave - for birth, adoption, or foster care
- Monthly health and wellness allowance that can be used for your healthy living needs, including gym membership, acupuncture, massage, or bike repairs
- Home office stipend - we'll help you get your home office set up so you can do your best work
- Internet + cell phone reimbursement - to ensure your essential needs are met, we reimburse team members for their monthly internet and cell phone plans
- Co-working space reimbursement - for those times you'd prefer to work in a co-working environment
- Professional development allowance - to use on conferences, books, classes, or workshops - anything that will help you develop your skills
- 1 month paid sabbatical after four years at Customer.io - to treat yourself to a vacation, or spend however you choose
- Company retreats twice a year - we typically get together IRL every spring and fall, but most recently had an amazing virtual retreat!
- Flexible schedule, work anywhere you want! - as long as you have a reliable internet connection and some overlapping work time with your manager, you can work where and when you want
All final candidates will be asked to complete an employment and education verification authorization form (which allows us to verify your job history and education listed on your resume) as part of our pre-employment process.
We work hard to build a diverse, inclusive, and equitable environment where everyone has the opportunity to learn and grow. Diverse teams create better products and stronger companies, and we encourage applicants from underrepresented groups to apply.
Check out our careers page for more information about why you should come work with us! We are passionate about our core values of Empathy, Transparency, Responsibility, and Awkwardness and are looking for new coworkers to share and build that passion!
How to apply
Apply at the link below by 5pm PST July 17th and tell us why you're interested in the position! Be sure to add your favorite linux distro in your cover letter. There is no advantage to applying early so put your best foot forward. We will respond to all applicants by July 21st with a status update about your application.
Here's what you can expect from our hiring process:
- 30 minute introductory video call with the hiring manager
- One hour technical interview with members of the engineering team
- One hour scaling interview with members of the engineering team
- Take-home assignment - you'll have approximately one week to work on your assignment
- One hour take-home assignment review with members of the engineering team