Backend Engineer @ Berlin based Adtech Startup [go] at Opinary
🇩🇪 (Posted Feb 26 2019)
About the company
Opinary has one mission: We make opinions matter. On the web and in real life. Globally, people use our polling technology to share their opinion with one simple click. The instant visualization of opinion trends enables our users to engage in an open dialogue and to understand complex debates. By harnessing latest advances in Machine Learning, NLP and distributed systems design, our platform ensures that our content always stays relevant to the reader.
With over 80 Million monthly users, we’re one of the fastest growing startups in the media space. You’ve probably used our tools yourself on publishers like The Times, Spiegel Online, NBC, Huffington Post or the Independent.
We are looking for a Backend Engineer to support our growing product team.
- Run, maintain and design new microservices that live inside a big Golang monorepo
- Work on a high performance system that equally uses RPC and an event-bus paradigm to serve thousands of concurrent requests
- Interact with our Google Cloud Platform infrastructure that re-uses a huge part of the Google ecosystem: e.g. BigQuery, Pub/Sub, AppEngine, Kubernetes
- Switch confidently between in-memory storage (redis), traditional RDBMS systems (mysql) and columnar storage systems (Datastore/Bigtable)
- Work in a collaborative environment, finding solutions to business challenges with team members from a variety of disciplines like Data Science, Business Intelligence or Product.
- Own and move a project ahead in its full lifecycle: design, implementation, testing and deployment.
What we offer
- Your technical chops will directly impact today’s debates in the most relevant media outlets
- We have a diverse and open culture from different professional and personal backgrounds.
- Our agile team provides the space to directly influence and impact our product positively without having to traverse a complex spider web of hierarchies.
- Growth and continuous learning: everyone at Opinary is encouraged to trust in experiments and personally grow - a generous learning budget underpins this.
- We provide a flexible working environment – choose your working hours, holidays and preferred laptop.
Skills & requirements
- You have great practical knowledge of Golang and at least one other programming language
- You have significant experience working on high performance distributed systems - with a story or two to share about that process
- You understand the strengths and differences when choosing a database technology (SQL or NoSQL)
- You know how to measure the performance via tracing, profiling and monitoring tools
- You value coding as your craft and understand that writing software is about solving technical problems - but equally important something to be maintained and understood by your peers
- You’re proactive and curious: always eager to learn new things and happy to share your knowledge with others