Principal Back End Engineer at Sproutling a Mattel Company
San Francisco, California, United States
🇺🇸 (Posted Dec 6 2016)
About the company
For parents that want happy families, Sproutling raises parenting IQ through cool, seamless technology that fits parent’s lives and provides real-time, trustworthy insights about their children. By taking the worry out of parenting, we help parents focus on building happy families. Sproutling’s first product is an innovative baby monitor that learns babies’ individual patterns and lets parents know important things like when their baby is likely to wake up, the ideal room conditions, if it detects anything unusual, and more.
In the beginning of 2016 Mattel acquired Sproutling to help launch innovative connected products and services that use Big Data, Machine Learning, and IoT technology to offer kids and parents unprecedented user experiences and insights. The acquisition is also aimed at inspiring a new “Silicon Valley” culture and product development approach. As an employee you get the benefits of working in a challenging startup environment, the career growth potential of a fortune 500 company, and the fun factor of a toy business.
Sproutling is located right in the heart of the much desired Financial District, San Francisco. Located mere steps away from the Embarcadero Bart Station, one block from the Embarcadero Shopping Center, three blocks from the Ferry Building, and walking distance to many of the best restaurants San Francisco has to offer. You’ll be at one of the best work locations in the Bay Area.
- Remote work is NOT possible
Sproutling, A Mattel Company, is looking for a Principal Back End Engineer to help us develop the services and API that form the foundation of a variety of products that are part of our Nursery of the Future vision. It is an opportunity to work with the latest connected devices and hardware as well as with a sophisticated platform that will process large amounts of data per second. If you are looking to work with the latest technology and create an uncompromising user experience that guides them through challenges of a connected platform then this will be a rewarding opportunity.
● Design REST interfaces to hardware components with data structures that support optimal data transfer
● Build web services in the appropriate language that are performant and inherently secure
● Instrument Docker to build sustainable and portable environments that are easily deployed
● Design and use SQL and NoSQL databases to support both relational and nonrelational storage requirements
● Write testing code according to Test Driven Development best practices
● Document web services and jobs for clarity and ease of use including outside 3rd parties
● Ensure that all services have appropriate logging and are instrumented for monitoring and alerting
● Leverage Kubernetes to deploy and manage a scalable infrastructure that supports high thoughput
● Respond to system level issues as necessary to provide the best overall customer experience
Skills & requirements
● Experience with Golang/GO programming language
● Experience as a Technical Team Lead with a focus on architecture and overall product development
● Experience with the Linux operating system and the Bash shell
● Several years of professional experience developing REST based services that support millions of users or devices
● Ability to develop in multiple languages including Java, Ruby, Python, GO, Objective C, Swift, C or C++
● Understanding of how to leverage, build, deploy and tune the JVM and Java based systems
● Understanding of Continuous Integration/Deployment and tools like Jenkins
● Excellent written and communication skills
Nice to Have:
● Past experience converting scientific or data algorithms to higher performance
languages like Scala and C/C++
● Familiarity with either websockets or MQTT as communication protocols
● Experience using Docker for development and deployment to production environments
● Experience with multiple cloud based infrastructures with preference given to AWS
Instructions how to apply
Please attach a resume/CV and include links to your applicable online profiles (GitHub, etc.) and email me direct at Fawn.Langford@Mattel.com .
[ job website
Let them know you found the job via https://www.golangprojects.com
(Companies love to know what recruiting strategies that works)