Senior Operations Engineer at Apcera, Inc.
San Francisco, California, United States (Posted Apr 23 2014)
About the company
Apcera is revolutionizing enterprise technology. Continuum by Apcera is an innovative platform that empowers enterprises to transparently and securely control the allocation and consumption of IT resources. Built in Golang from the ground up, Continuum brings real-world reliability to workloads, giving IT the control and visibility it needs to deliver much faster. Because Continuum is a managed service, we provide technology as well as the services around it to ensure customer success. It's an ambitious, exciting, and unique position that we covet. We’re proud to provide smooth deployments and successful delivery to customers that are some of the biggest, most influential companies in the world.
- Remote work possible
Relocation compensation available
Balance the big picture with attention to detail.
As an Operations Engineer, you strive to know the what, how, and why so that you understand systems at multiple levels of abstraction. You use your knowledge to create new tools, configurations, and deployment frameworks where appropriate. You also evaluate existing solutions, applying ones that work and discarding those that don’t. You write and share better solutions with others, gradually making the world a more clueful place.
We're looking for sharp operations engineers with a Unix focus. If you’re a senior engineer who does all the below, fantastic. If you’re a junior engineer with a baseline level of skills, we’ll help you get there! Think of this as a career development path.
- Managing and designing product deployment and its systems
- Monitoring, deploying, overseeing every part of the deployment lifecycle
- Providing guidance and training to software engineers
- Managing customer platforms, with dedication to security, privacy, and customer data protection
- Owning post-event analysis and remediation
- Designing, creating, and configuring safe automation
- Determining what and how to monitor and benchmark
- Debugging to identify a problem origin or make an informed decision about to whom to hand off a problem
- Getting things right, handling corner cases while still being able to make trade-offs for expediency
- Controlling and collaborating to reduce technical debt
Skills & requirements
- Clear written and verbal communication with different audiences, be they in person or virtual
- Ability to train and explain to others through reports, tutorials, and documentation
- Experience administering and automating groups of Unix machines
- Experience managing configuration management systems and distributed version control systems
- Experience in a few different scripting languages and ability to read code in more languages
- Willingness to learn and use Go
- Deep knowledge of Unix architecture and its security model
- Ability to debug from a crash dump or stack backtrace
- Familiarity with internet networking and protocols
- Practical skills in debugging internet protocol stacks, including HTTP, DNS, down to TCP tuning
- Know what an HTTP/1.1 transaction looks like at the TCP payload stream level
- Know what is in a DNS SOA record and know what zone cuts are
- Know how systems start and configure themselves on a network
- Ability to quickly learn new things and move from traditional command-line to newer tools
- Ability to script together REST APIs and JSON data to manage provider services
- Ability to devise metrics and meaningful aggregations for measurement and analysis
- Explain why a 95th percentile is insufficient for conveying behavior and limits
- Create consoles for providing insight into system state
- Create and refine alert triggers, warning of incipient problems
- Understanding and managing frameworks for identity, authentication, authorization, and access controls
- Understanding public key vs. symmetric cryptography, encrypted services, signatures, PGP, and SSH
Instructions how to apply
Apply by emailing your Résumé/CV to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject "Apcera Job Opening: Operations Engineer"
Talk with us to learn more about what we're doing and why it matters. We'd love your help to get better, faster.
[ job website
Let them know you found the job via http://www.golangprojects.com
(Companies love to know what recruiting strategies that works)